Sunday, September 21, 2008

YES DAY

I just asked a student whom I am personal coaching to do some homework. I asked her between our sessions to find one day to SAY YES to absolutely everything that was proposed to her--to have a "Yes Day". She agreed (almost said no...:)) which got me thinking...thats a tall order! A day of saying yes to all and everything around you. Yes to the homeless man, yes to the request for time, yes to answering the phone when it rings--no screening! We have grown into such habitual no-sayers. Our knee-jerk reaction is often NO. There are always a million reasons why we can't: Money, time, energy, experience.... The Yes muscle is out of work and needs training. That's how improv training helps!

Try it. Choose one day...SAY YES to everything. Write me! Comment on this blog! Tell me how it went! YES!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have found that I'm basically happier and more productive when I say "yes" - maybe not to absolutely everything but to most. I do think that people get in the habit of limiting themselves, saving themselves for, well, what? I have found that I'm capable of doing much more than I thought - by the simple act of saying "yes." After all if people really thought I couldn't do it, they wouldn't ask!

Anonymous said...

Kim, saw your show with the Advent crowd last night (10/14) and really enjoyed it. I connected instantly with your riff on therapy and anger. Took me 25 years after my divorce to admit to myself that, yes, I'm mad about some things! (I accidently clicked on anonymous but it was me who posted the comments about saying yes - I do believe we limit ourselves tremendously.) Good luck to you in your future endeavors!