Tuesday, May 26, 2009

on being....

One of the most important lessons improv has to offer is how to just be.

In scenework, I am constantly encouraging my students to BE that person, don't act it, BE it! I want them to slow down and just BE in that location, just be with that person and speak and act from that place. Not easy. We get scared, defensive. Our brain likes to get in the way. Our brain wants to work. What if we didn't need to do any work?


Franz Kafka wrote on being:

You need not do anything; you need not leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. You don't even need to wait; just become still, quiet and solitary, and the world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked. It has no choice.


I love it when the world offers itself to me unmasked. Onstage and off.

Thanks Franz. Rock on.



No comments: